Sunday 3 August 2014

CSSI Day 8: Eating and Shopping Seattle

Today was a much more relaxed, go-at-your-own-pace day for us to decide what to do in the city. Don't get me wrong, I actually thoroughly enjoyed all the busy weekdays where we coded for hours per day; I find that when I set aside large blocks of time for specific tasks I am more productive, so I enjoy the blocks of time for classes. Nonetheless, the weekend break was well-needed, and after seeing the downtown regions yesterday it was really nice to go back.

We started off the day with a morning walk around the campus; we got to see the main fountain on campus yesterday, and today we saw a statue of George Washington (naturally, since it is the University of Washington after all). The walk was a good way to become awake and enjoy the fantastic weather.
George Washington monument
The Drumheller Fountain
Next, we made the most of the ORCA cards we were provided with and headed off to Pike Place Market by public transit; we wanted to try Pike Place Chowder, an extremely popular seafood restaurant that had too long of a line the day before. I had a Dungeness Crab Roll and their famous New England Clam Chowder, the two most popular items. Needless to say, the seafood was amazing.

Seafood fest!
Afterward, we walked around downtown for the afternoon, doing a bit of shopping; it was fun to explore some stores that are only available in the US. For dinner, I got to try gyros for the first time! It only reinforced my love of Greek food.
Awesome food was awesome.
To cap off the day, we settled down to watch The Internship back at the dorms, a hilarious movie about interning at Google. Tomorrow we head off to Google Seattle! This weekend has been fantastic but I'm ready to learn some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment