Monday 11 August 2014

CSSI Day 16: Projects and Resumes

I'd be lying if I said that today wasn't an exhausting day for everyone. I felt strangely drained throughout the day, particularly due to trying to solve problems that are beyond our capacity of the programming that we have learned. However, that's not to say that we didn't celebrate some victories today. We started off with a running head start through having the first few pages of our application coded; this continued throughout the morning with successfully adding all of our data into the datastore. However, that was when we realized that a major component of our application requires auto-updating web pages, which we'd underestimated the difficulty of. There is one method of doing it, which involves using the Channel Python API in App Engine, but reading through the tutorial we felt that the self-learning how to incorporate the code into our program was over our skill level. Tonight, our team will be trying to work out the details and hopefully find a solution, as well as laying out the tasks for tomorrow. Still, I'm having a lot of fun applying what I've learned in CSSI to the beginnings of our project, and I feel like we are almost on the right track. 

The highlight of the day was the resume workshop after lunch. I thoroughly enjoyed having break-out sessions with members of the Google recruiting team, for I learned so much about how to write a succinct yet detailed resume. I thought that the session was extremely helpful; it was so nice of the recruiting team to take time out of their work to come look over our individual resumes. 

As we move into crunch time and some heavy programming in the next few days, I am hopeful that our project idea will come together and take shape. Our team is working hard together; I hope to have some great updates in the days to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment